1836 White's                        

DEOPHAM, or Deepham parish, 2 miles S. E. of Hingham includes the small village of Deopham Green, many scattered houses, 506 inhabitants, and 1668 acres of land, belonging a number of proprietors, and lying in two manors, of which Lord Wodehouse and the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury are lords; the latter being appropriators of the rectorial tithes, and patrons of the vicarage, value in K.B. at 5. 7s. 11d., and augmented from 1716 to '18, with 70 given by them; 130, given by the Rev. Henry Rix; and  200 of Queen Anne's bounty; all laid out in land at Shipdham. The Rev. Rd. Adams is incumbent. The Misses Ames, of Bath, are lessees of the corn tithes. The Church (St. Andrew) is a large edifice, with a square tower and five bells, and formerly had four guilds. It is nearly half a mile S. W. of the village; and both are on rising ground though some parts of the parish are low and wet. A famous lime tree, cut down here about 1705, measured round its trunk from 8 to 16 yards, and its height was upwards of 30 yards. In 1726, the Rev. Henry Rix bequeathed, for teaching four children, bread for the poor, and 11s. for a sermon yearly, the sum of 60, laid out in 4A. of land, now let for 7. The Primitive Methodists have two small chapels in the parish. The common was enclosed in 1812.

Directory:-  (Marked * are land owners )

 

Edw. Badcock*,   vict. Half Moon

Williain Clements,   wheelwright

Rueben Haythorpe,   schoolmaster

Robt. Howe,   miller

Wm. Knights,   beerhouse

Edw. Labell,   blacksmith

Taylor Phnix*,   thatcher

James Richardson,   baker

 

Farmers

 

Wm. Barker

Fras. Barnard

Rowing Brasnett* (and baker)

Richd. Breeze

Robt, Clark

John Curson

Isaac Eason*

Wm. Liddlelow

Thomas Matthews

Archibald Rowing

Garrett Odden Taylor