1858  Kelly's                      

DEOPHAM, or DEEPHAM, is a parish containing a scattered population, and the small village of DEOPHAM GREEN, situated 1 mile south-west from the church, in Forehoe hundred and union, East Norfolk, 2 south-east of Hingham, 4 north of Attleborough station, 114 from London, and 4 west from Wymondham. The church (St. Andrew) is a fine edifice in the Perpendicular style, with a handsome square embattled tower, having octagonal turrets, and two strong buttresses at each angle, with ornamental pinnacles on each side, and contains 5 bells; the interior is spacious, has a lofty nave, north and south aisles, and chancel; it was repaired in 1851, and the stonework, pillars, &c., scraped. The register dates from 1560. Lord Wodehouse and the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury are lords of the manors; the latter are also appropriators of the rectory and patrons of the living, which is a vicarage, value about 190 per annum, with handsome residence and 23 acres of glebe land in Shipdham and 6 acres in this parish; the incumbent is the Rev. George Henry Turner, M.A. The Rev. Henry Rix, who died in 1728, left 60, the proceeds to be appropriated in teaching four poor children, and an annual sermon, the minister to receive 10s.,  clerk 1s., and 8s. for each child, the remainder to he given in bread to the poor parishioners. There are also about 23, arising from 14 acres of land awarded at the enclosure in 1814, distributed among the poor in coals and bread annually. The population was returned, in 1851, at 494 inhabitants; the parish contain 1,626 acres of land. Here is a fine elm, 90 feet high The Primitive Methodists have two small chapels. Here is a National school that will accommodate 70 children,. supported by the vicar.

 

Letters through Wymondham. The nearest money order office is at Hingham.

 

Turner Rev. George Henry, M.A [vicar], Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL.

 

Allen John,   farmer, assistant overseer, & collector of rates & taxes

Baker John,   farmer, the Green

Baker Thomas,   blacksmith, the Green

Brunton James,   travelling teadealer

Brunton John,   gardener

Clarke Wm. & Thos.   farmers, the Green

Clarke Samuel,   shopkeeper

Clarke Mary Arm (Mrs.),   farmer, the Green

Clarke William,   boot & shoe maker

Clemments Jas.,   wheelwright, the Green

Coman Sarah (Mrs.),   mistress of the National school

Eason Robert,   farmer Low common

George Jeremiah,   shopkeeper

Howlett William,   farmer

Jessop William,   farmer

Jude Charles,   farmer & drillman, Hingham road

Knights William,   parish clerk

Lee John Eagling,   miller & baker

Liddelow William,   farmer, the Green

Mann John,   bricklayer

Mason Robert,   tailor

Matthews Hammond,   farmer, Stallands

Miles Henry,   farmer, High Elm

Millard George,   farmer, Church farm

Patrick Robert,   farmer

Patrick William,   farmer

Phnix John,   farmer, Hingham road

Phnix Robert,   farmer & shopkeeper, the Green

Phnix Taylor, sen.,   thatcher

Pitts Philip,   farmer

Richardson James,   baker & shopkeeper

Riches John,   farmer, South hill

Roberson John,   farmer , Low common

Rowing Mary (Mrs.),   farmer, the Green

Shickle .lames,   farmer, High elm

Shickle William,   farmer, the Green

Watling Henry,   farmer, assistant overseer & collector of rates for Wicklewood

Ward John,   farmer Low common

Whitehand John,   farmer  & drillsman, Stallands

Wingfield John,   Halfmoon, & blacksmith

Wright William,   farmer