1864 White's                        

    DEOPHAM, or Deepham parish, 2 miles S.E. of Hingham, includes the small village of Deopham Green, many scattered houses, 483 inhabitants, and 1626 acres of land, belonging to a number of proprietors, and lying in two manors, of which Lord Wodehouse and the Ecclesiastical Commisioners are lords. The latter are also appropriators of the rectorial tithes, which are leased to the Exors. of W. S. Millard, Esq., and have been commuted for 377. 13s. 5d. a year. The Dean and Chapter of Canterbury are patrons of the vicarage, which was valued in K.B., at 5. 7s. 11d, and augmented from 1716 to 18, with 70, given by them, 130, given by the Rev. Henry Rix, and 200 of Q.A.B., all laid out in 23 acres of land at Shipdham. The Rev. Hibbert Wanklyn is the incumbent, and has a neat brick residence near the church, erected in 1852, at a cost of 600: and a yearly tithe rent-charge of 190. 2s 9d. The Church (St. Andrew) is a finely proportioned and spacious structure, consisting of a lofty nave with aisles and clerestory, a chancel, a south porch, and a massive square tower. The latter, which is in the perpendicular style, and contains five bells, rises to the height of 100 feet, and is surmounted at the angles by octagonal turrets, and ornamented with crosses. The nave is of the early-decorated period, and has five lofty arches on each side, resting on triangular pillars on the north and octagonal ones on the south side: it has a fine open timber roof, the spandrils of which rest on carved corbels. The chancel is of later date, being in the perpendicular style, and having a plain roof. It contains a large piscina, and sedilia for three priests, and there are piscinǽ and the remains of painted screens at the east ends of the aisles, where there were formerly chapels. The tower arch is lofty and very fine, but the west window is nearly bricked up. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are about to restore the chancel, and the rest of this fine building will shortly undergo a similar process. The National School, a neat brick building with residence attached, was built in 1851, and is attended by about 33 children. A large Lime-tree, 90 feet high, was cut down in the parish, in 1705, the trunk of which was from 8 to 16 yards in girth. The Primitive Methodists have two small chapels here. In 1726, the Rev. Henry Rix left 60 for school poor children, &c., and it was laid out in the purchase of 4a. 1r. 32p. of land, now let for 12, out of which 32s. are paid for teaching four poor children, 10s. for a sermon, and 1s. to the clerk, and the rest is distributed in bread among the parishioners. The Charter Acre was exchanged at the enclosure for 1a. 38p., let for 5, of which 11s. are paid annually, to the sheriff, for renewing the " town charter " which exempts the parishioners from serving on juries, and the residue is carried to the church rates. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1814, consists of 14a. 2r. 13p., let for about 20 a year, which is distributed in Coals.

Post Office at William Whitehand's. Letters desp. via Wymondham at 5.30 p.m.

Brunton John,   gardener

Clark Wm.,    shoemr.

Clement James,    wheelwright

Knights William,   parish clerk

Mallett Edward Griffin,   corn miller

Marrott Elizabeth,   National School

Wanklyn Rev. Hibbert,   Vicarage

Wingfield John,   blacksmith and vict. Half Moon

 

BEERHOUSES

 

Baker Richardson

George Jeremiah

Stone George

 

FARMERS

 

Clark William

Eason Robert

Liddylow William

Matthews Hamnd.

Miles Henry

Millard George,  The Church Farm

Minns Reuben

Patrick William

Phnix John

Phnix Robert

Pitts Philip

Riches John

Roberson John, Hall

Rowing Mary

Shickle James

Shickle William

Watling Henry,  (& rate collector)

Whitehand John

 

SHOPKEEPERS

 

George Jeremiah

Phnix Robert

Stone George

Whitehand William