1869 Kelly's                        

DEOPHAM is a parish, 3 miles south-east from Hingham, 3 north from Attleborough station, 114 from London, and 5 west from Wymondham, comprising the small village of DEOPHAM GREEN, situated a mile south-west from the church. The parish is in the South-Eastern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk, and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is in the Perpendicular style, with a handsome square embattled tower, having octagonal turrets, and two strong buttresses at each angle, with ornamental pinnacles on each side, and contains 5 bells: the interior is spacious, has a lofty nave, aisles and chancel:  it was repaired in 1851, and the stonework and pillars scraped:  in 1864 the chancel was entirely restored and new roofed, and furnished with a new window and altar rails, and the floor paved with Minton's tiles. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, yearly value about 190. with handsome residence, and 23 acres of glebe land in Shipdham and 6 acres in this parish, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. Hibbert Wanklyn, of University College, Durham. A National school that will accommodate 70 children is supported by subscriptions. The Primitive Methodists have two small chapels. The Rev. Henry Rix, who died in 1728, left 60, to be invested in land, which produces a rental of 14 per annual, the proceeds to be appropriated in teaching four poor children, and for an annual sermon, the minister to receive 10s., clerk 1s., and 8s. for each child, the remainder to be given in bread to the poor parishioners. There is also about 20 arising from 14 acres of land, awarded at the Enclosure in 1814 in lieu of common rights, distributed among the poor in coals annually. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators of the rectorial tithes. The Earl of Kimberley is lord of the manor. The soil is marl; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The population in 1861 was 483; the area is 1,646 acres.

Parish Clerk,   Charles Hurrell.

 

POST OFFICE.-   William Whitehand, receiver. Letters through Wymondham, arrive at 8.30 a.m. & dispatched at 5.55 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hingham.

 

   Assistant Overseer,   William Whitehand

National School  Miss Hagar Hubbard, mistress

 

Wanklyn Rev. Hibbert   [vicar],   Vicarage

Brunton John,   farmer

Clarke Thomas,   farmer, Stallands

Clarke William, jun.,   farmer

Clements Jas.,   wheelwright, The Green

Eason Robt. jun.,   farmer, Low common

George Jeremiah,   shopkeeper

Goddard George,   miller

Huggins George,    farmer & cattle dealer

Jude Charles,   farmer & drill owner, Hingham road

Liddelow William,    farmer, The Green

Mason Robert,   tailor

Miles Sarah (Mrs.),   farmer, High elm

Millard George,   farmer, Church farm

Minns Reuben,   farmer

Patrick William,   farmer

Phnix John,   farmer, Hingham road

Phnix Robert,   farmer & shopkeeper, The Green

Pitts Philip,   farmer

Riches John,   farmer, South hill

Roberson John,   farmer, Low common

Rowing Mary (Mrs.),   farmer, The Green

Shickle James,   farmer, High elm

Shickle William,   farmer, The Green

Shickle William, jun.,   farmer, The Green

 Stone George,   beer retailer & drilling machine owner

Wade Robert,   farmer

Ward Maria (Mrs),   beer retailer & farmer, Low common

Watling Henry,   farmer, assistant overseeer & collect. of rates for Wicklewood

Webster James,   farmer

Whitehand John,   farmer & drill owner, Stallands

Whitehand William,   shopkeeper, & post office

Wingfield John,    Halfmoon, & blacksmith, The Green