1872 Harrod's                        

DEOPHAM is a parish and village in Forehoe hundred and union, diocese of Norwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk, rural deanery of Hingham, and Wymondham county court district, East Norfolk, 2 miles S.E. of Hingham, 4 N. of Attleborough station, and 4 W. from Wymondham. The church, St. Andrew, is a fine building, in the perpendicular style, with a square embattled tower, having octagonal turrets and two buttresses at each angle, with ornamental pinnacles on each side, and contains five bells. The Earl of Kimberley and the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury are lords of the manor. The living is a vicarage, value about 190 per annum. The incumbent is the Rev. Hibbert Wanklyn. There are also about 23, arising from fourteen acres of land, distributed among the poor in coals and bread annually. The population in 1871 was 480. The parish contains 1,626 acres. of land. The Primitive Methodists have two small chapels. Here is a National School.

 POSTAL REGULATIONS. - William Whitehand, postmaster. Letters through Wymondham arrive at 8.30 a.m., and dispatched at 5.55 p.m. The nearest money-order and telegraph office is at Hingham.

Wanklyn Rev. Hibbert,    vicar. Vicarage

 

Clements Jas.,    Wheelwright, The Green

Gathergood William,    beer retailer

George Jeremiah,    shopkeeper

Goddard   -----,    miller

Larkson Miss,    National schoolmistress  (Clarkson?)

Mason Robert,    tailor

Page William,   shopkeeper, Low Common

Phnix Robert,   shopkeeper, The Green

Stone George,    drill owner, thatcher, and Poor-law Guardian

Whitehand William,   shopkeeper

Wingfield John,    Half Moon inn, and blacksmith, The Green

 

FARMERS.

 

Barker John

Brunton John

Clarke Thomas, Stallands

Clarke William, jun.

Dixon Robert

Eason Robert, jun., Low Common

Huggins George, and cattle dealer

Jude Charles, and drill owner, Hingham road

Leverett James

Liddelow William, The Green

Millard George, Church farm

Minns Reuben

Patrick William

Phnix Robert, The Green

Pitts Philip

Riches John, South hill

Roberson John, The Hall

Rowing Miss M., The Green

Shaw William, Hingham road

Shickle James, High Elm

Shickle William, sen., The Green

Shickle William, jun., The Green

Spruce William, Stallands

Stone Phnix Taylor

Wade Robert

Walker William, High Elm

Ward John, Low Common

Watling Henry

Webster James

Whitehand Charles

Whitehand John, and drill owner, Stallands