1875 Kelly's                        

DEOPHAM is a parish, 2½ miles from Kimberley station, 3 north from Attleborough, 114 from London and 5 west from Wymondham, comprising the small village of DEOPHAM GREEN, situated a mile south-west from the church. The parish is in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk, and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. An­drew is in the Perpendicular style with a handsome square embattled tower, having octagonal turrets, and two strong buttresses at each angle, with ornamental pinnacles on each side, and contains 5 bells: it has chancel, lofty nave and aisles: it was repaired in 1851: in 1864 the chancel was entirely restored and new roofed, and furnished with a new window and communion rails, and the floor, paved with Minton's tiles, and in 1867 the south aisle was restored at a cost of £240. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, tithes commuted at £190, with £35 per annum added by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, with residence, and 23 acres of glebe land in Shipdham and 6 acres in this parish, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. Hibbert Wanklyn, of University College, Durham. The Rev. Henry Rix, who died in 1728, left £60, to be invested in land (which pro­duces a rental of £14 yearly), the proceeds to be appropriated in teaching four poor children, and for an annual sermon, the minister to receive 10s., clerk 1s., and 8s. for each child, the remainder to be given in bread to the poor parishioners about £20, arising from 14 acres of land, awarded at the Enclosure in 1814 in lieu of' common rights, is distributed among the poor annually. A National school that will accommodate 84 children is supported by subscriptions. The Primitive Methodists have two small chapels. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators of the rectoriaI tithes. The Earl of Kimberley is lay impropriator, and the Sutton family are lords of the manor. The princi­pal landowners are the Earl of Kimberley and J. B. Graver Browne, esq. The soil is marl; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,646 acres; rateable value, £3,240; the population in 1871 was 462.

Parish Clerk, Charles Hurrell.

POST OFFICE.-  Robert Phœnix, receiver. Letters through Wymondham, arrive at 8.30 a.m. & are dispatched at 5.55 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hingham

INSURANCE AGENT. - Liverpool & London & Globe,  H. Shaw, Hingham road

National School, Georgina Clarkson, mistress

Wanklyn Rev. Hibbert    [vicar], Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL.

Brunton John,    farmer

Clarke Thomas,    farmer, Stallands

Clarke William, jun.,   farmer

Clements James,    wheelwright, The Green

Eason Robt. Jun.,   farmer, Low common

Gathergood  William,   beer retailer

George Jerimiah,   shopkeeper

Goddard George,   miller

Groom Timothy,   Halfmoon, & blacksmith, The Green

Huggins George,   farmer, cattle dealer & landowner

Hurrel Charles,   farmer, Hingham road

Jude Charles,   farmer & drill owner, Hingham road

Knott Wm.,    threshing machine owner

Leverett Elizabeth (Mrs),   farmer

Leverett William,   farmer & shopkeeper

Liddelow William,   farmer, The Green

Mason Robert,   tailor

Millard George,   farmer, Church farm

Minns Reuben,   farmer

Patrick William,   farmer

Patrick William,   farmer, The Green

Phœnix Robert,    farmer, shopkeeper & postmaster, The Green

George, farmer,   cattle dealer

Pitts Philip,   farmer     

Riches John,   farmer, South bill

Robertson John,   farmer, Hall farm, Low common

Rowing Mary (Mrs.),   farmer, The Green

Shaw Henry,   farmer & landowner, Hingham road

Shickle James,   farmer

Stone George,    beer retailer & drilling machine owner

Wade Robert,   farmer 

Walker John,   farmer

Watling Henry,   farmer & collector of rates for Wicklewood

Webster James,   farmer

Whitehand John,   farmer & drill owner, Stallands

Woods Robert,   farmer