1883  Kelly's                        

Additions shown in red on this page were from the 1883 White's directory.

DEOPHAM is a parish, 2½ miles from Kimberley station, 3 north from Attleborough station, and 4 south-west from Wymondham, comprising the small village of DEOPHAM GREEN, situated a mile south-west from the church. The parish is in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk, and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. An­drew is in the Perpendicular style, having chancel, lofty nave and aisles, with a handsome square embattled tower, having octagonal turrets, and two strong buttresses at each angle, with ornamental pinnacles on each side, and contains 5 bells: in 1864 the chancel was entirely restored and new roofed, and furnished with a new window and communion rails, and the floor paved with Minton's tiles, and in 1867 the south aisle was restored at a cost of £240: in consequence of the dilapidated condition of the roof and nave, north aisle, the windows of the latter and the flooring of the church, service is now held in the chancel only, which is boarded off from the rest of the building: restorations (commenced July 1882) are in progress and will  be continued so long as the funds in the hands of the vicar (who is raising subscriptions) will permit: the tower is also in a very unsatisfactory state: it is estimated the total cost of restoring the edifice will be about £3,200, including £500 for the tower. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, tithes commuted at £190, with £35 per annum added by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, with residence, and 23 acres of glebe land in Shipdham and 6 acres in this parish, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury and held by the Rev. Hibbert Wanklyn, of University College, Durham. The Rev. Henry Rix, who died in 1728, left £60, to be invested in land (which pro­duces a rental of £12 yearly), the proceeds to be appropriated in teaching four poor children, and for an annual sermon,  the minister to receive 10s., clerk 1s., and 8s. for each child, the remainder to be given in bread to the poor parishioners. About £12, arising from 14 acres of land, awarded at the enclosure in 1814 in lieu of common rights, is distributed among the poor annually. The Primitive Methodists have two small chapels, one at Deopham Green, the other at Low Common. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators of the rec­toriaI tithes. The Earl of Kimberley, the Sutton family and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, are lords of the manor. The princi­pal landowners are the Earl of Kimberley, the trustees of the late J. B. Graver Browne, esq. and the Crown. The soil is marl; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,646 acres; rateable value, £3,147; the population in 1881 was 424.

Parish Clerk, Charles Hurrell.

POST OFFICE.- Robert Phœnix, receiver. Letters through Wymondham, arrive at 8.30 a.m. & are dispatched at 5.50 p.m. The nearest money order and telegraph offices are at Attleborough and Hingham

PILLAR LETTER BOX  (Low Common), cleared at 5.30 p.m week days

CARRIERS.-  Thomas Rayner, passes through from Ellingham to Norwich  Wed. and Sat.   John Dye, to Rockland and Norwich  Wed. and Sat

A National school to hold 84 children is supported by subscriptions;  Miss Georgina Clarkson, mistress

Wanklyn Rev. Hibbert   [vicar], Vicarage

COMMERCIAL.

Allen William,   farmer & cattle dealer, Hall farm

Baldwin Frederick,   farmer

Bateson John,    Halfmoon & blacksmith, The Green

Brunton John,    farmer

Clarke Alfred,   farmer

Clarke James William,   farmer & owner

Clarke Thomas,    farmer, High Elm

Clements James,    carpenter & wheelwright, The Green

Dixon James,   farmer, Low Common

Eason Robert,   farmer, Red Barn

Fielding Henry,   farmer & shopkeeper

Gathergood  William,   beer retailer & farmer, Low Common

George Jeremiah,   shopkeeper & beer retailer.

Hurrel Charles,   farmer & parish clerk, Hingham road

Jude Charles,   farmer & drill owner, Hingham road

Lincoln James,   farmer

Lord Robert,   bricklayer  (Loyd)

Minns Reuben,   farmer

Moore William,   thatcher

Page William,   shopkeeper

Patrick William,   shopkeeper, farmer & drill owner

Penlington Thomas,   assistant overseer, collector of taxes & highway surveyor, The Green

Phœnix Robert,    farmer & postmaster, The Green

Phœnix-Stone Mrs. Mary A.,   assistant school mistress

Pitts Philip,   farmer & owner     

Riches John,   farmer, South hill

Ringer Urban,   farmer

Rowing Archibald,   farmer and Wicklewood

Rowing Mary Ann (Mrs),    farmer, The Green

Semmence John,   farmer & shoemaker 

Shaw Henry,   farmer & landowner & agent for London, Liverpool and Globe Insurance Co, Hingham road

Shickle Sarah (Mrs),   farmer

Smith John,   shoemaker

Stone George,    thatcher

Sutton Thomas William,   farmer, Church farm 

Turner William,   draper & grocer

Watling Henry,   farmer

Watts James,   miller (wind) & merchant;  h Hackford

Webster James,   farmer

Whitehand John,   farmer, Stalland

Woods Robert,   farmer