1888  Kelly's                        

DEOPHAM is a parish, 3 miles from Kimberley station, 4 north from Attleborough station, and 4 south-west from Wymondham, comprising the small village of DEOPHAM GREEN, situated a mile south-west from the church. The parish is in the Mid division of the county, Forehoe hundred, petty sessional division and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham Forehoe division, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. An­drew is a building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower, with octagonal turrets and ornamental pinnacles, and containing 5 bells: in 1864 the chancel was entirely restored and new roofed, and in 1867 the south aisle was restored, at a cost of £240: the nave and south door were thoroughly restored and new windows inserted, at a cost of £2,000, and was again opened for service in July, 1884, after being closed for two years: the tower and porch will be restored as soon as sufficient funds are forthcoming: the total estimated cost, including £500 for the tower, is £3,200: there are 280 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent charge £179, net yearly value £113, with residence, and including 23 acres of glebe land in Shipdham and 6 acres in this parish, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and held since 1861 by the Rev. Hibbert Wanklyn, L.Th. of University College, Durham. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators of the rectoriaI tithes. There are two Primitive Methodists chapels, one at Deopham Green, erected in 1837, the other at Low Common. The Rev. Henry Rix, who died in 1728, left £60, to be invested in land, which produces a rental of £9 yearly, now appropriated for teaching four poor children, and for an annual sermon,  the minister to receiving 10s., the clerk 1s., and 8s. to each child, the remainder to be given in bread to the poor. About £12, arising from 14 acres of land, awarded at the enclosure in 1814 in lieu of common rights, is distributed among the poor annually. The Earl of Kimberley, the Sutton family and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are the Earl of Kimberley K. G., the trustees of the late J. B. Graver Browne, esq. and the Crown. The soil is marl; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,646 acres; rateable value, £2,866; the population in 1881 was 424.

Parish Clerk, Charles Hurrel

POST OFFICE.- Robert Phœnix, receiver. Letters through Wymondham, arrive at 8.30 a.m. & are dispatched at 5.50 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph  offices are at Attleborough and Hingham

PILLAR LETTER BOX  (Low Common), cleared at 5.30 p.m week days

INSURANCE AGENT.-  Liverpool & London & Globe, H. Shaw

National school (mixed), erected in 1851, for 84; average attendance, 62; Mrs Georgina Penlington, mistress

CARRIERS.-  John Raynor, from Rockland, & ---- Knott, from Rockland, passes through to Norwich on wed. & sat

 

Peacock Mrs.  South End cottage

Porter Rev. Jacob M.A  [curate]

Wanklyn Rev. Hibbert   [vicar], Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL. 

Allen William,   farmer & cattle dealer, Hall farm

Baldwin Frederick,   farmer, South hill

Bateson John,    Halfmoon P. H. & blacksmith, The Green

Bolton Arthur W.,   farmer, Stalland

Brunton John,    farmer

Bush John,   farmer & shopkeeper, The Green

Clarke Hannah (Mrs.),   farmer

Clarke James William,   farmer

Clarke Thomas Leeder,    farmer, High Elm

Clements James Blackwell,    carpenter & wheelwright, The Green

Dack Robert,   farmer

Eason Robert,   farmer, Red Barn

Fielding Henry,   farmer, Low common

Gathergood William,   beer retailer, Low common

George Jeremiah,   shopkeeper & beer retailer, The Green

Hart William,   farmer, Stalland

Harwood George Jabez,   farmer, Stalland

Hurrell Charles,   farmer, High Elm & Hingham road

Jude Charles,   farmer & drill owner, Hingham road

Lord Robert,   bricklayer 

Lyngcoln William,   farmer, Pattengill farm

Martin James,   farmer, Stalland

Minns Reuben,   farmer

Page William,   shopkeeper

Patrick William,   farmer, The Green

Penlington Thomas,   assistant overseer, collector of taxes & highway surveyor, The Green

Phœnix Robert,    farmer & postmaster, The Green

Phœnix Robert, jun.,   thrashing machine owner, Stalland

Phœnix Samuel,   farmer, Low common

Phœnix Taylor,   thatcher & farmer

Pitts Philip,   farmer

Potter Alfred,   carpenter, Stalland

Riches John,   farm bailiff to Mrs. Hannah Clarke

Ringer Urban,   farmer; & at Wramplingham

Rowing Archibald,   farmer; & at Wicklewood

Rowing Mary Ann (Miss),    farmer, The Green

Shaw Henry,   farmer & landowner, Hingham road

Shickle Sarah (Mrs.),   farmer & landowner

Smith George,   shoe maker, The Green

Smith Isaac,   tailor, The Green

Smith John,   shoe maker, The Green

Smith Walter,   bricklayer, The Green

Stone George,    thatcher

Sutton Thomas William,   farmer, Church farm

Turner William,   draper & grocer

Ward William,   farmer

Watling Henry,   farmer

Watts James,   miller (wind); & corn, coal, cake, seed & manure merchant, farmer & landowner; & at Spooner Row

Webster James,   farmer

Whitehand Charles,   farmer, The Green