1890  White's                        

DEOPHAM, or Deepham parish, 2 miles S.E. of Hingham, includes the small village of Deopham Green, many scattered houses, and is Forehoe union, Wymondham, county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Forehoe pety sessional division and hundred, Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It has 424 in habitants in 1881, living on 1,646 acres, and has a rateable value of about 2,760. The soil belongs to a number of proprietors, and lies in two manors, of which the Earl of Kimberley and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords.

       The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a finely proportioned and spacious structure, consisting of a lofty nave with aisles and clerestory, a chancel, a south porch, and a massive square tower. The latter, which is in the Perpendicular style, and contains five bells, rises to the height of 100 feet, and is surmounted at the angles by octagonal turrets, and ornamented with crosses. The nave is of the Early Decorated period, and has five lofty arches on each side, resting on triangular pillars on the north and octagonal ones on the south side: it has a fine open timber roof, the spandrils of which rest on carved corbels. The chancel is of later date, being in the Perpendicular style, and having a plain roof. It contains a large piscina, and sedilia for three priests, and there are piscinas and the remains of painted screens at the east ends of the aisles, where there were formerly chapels. The tower arch is lofty and very fine, but the west window is nearly bricked up. The chancel was re-roofed, new windows opened, its floor paved with Mintons tiles, and new communion rails erected, by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, in 1864 at a cost of 600. The south isle was restored, by private subscription, in 1867 at an expense of 270. The was re-roofed in 1882-3, and many other alterations, repairs, and additions made, at an outlay of 2,400, collected from all sources by the vicar. Some mural painting, one over the chancel arch, have been found. It is proposed to restore the south porch tower, and west doorway, reseat the interior, and re-hang the bells. The register date from 1560. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are appropriators of the rectorial tithes, which have been commuted for 377 13s. 5d. a year. The Dean and Chapter of Canterbury are patrons of the vicarage, which was valued in K.B., at 5. 7s. 11d, and augmented from 1716 to 18, with 70, given by them, 130 given by the Rev. Henry Rix, and 200 of Q.A.B., all laid out in 23 acres of land at Shipdham; 35 per annum is added by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The Rev. Hibbert Wanklyn is the incumbent, and has a brick residence near the church, erected in 1852, at a cost of 600: and a yearly tithe rent-charge of 190. 2s 9d. and is largely added by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1878-9 at a cost of 700. The National School, a brick building with residence attached, was built in 1851, and is attended by over 100 children.

The Primitive Methodists have two small chapels here. In 1726, the Rev. Henry Rix left 60 for schooling poor children, &c., and it was laid out in the purchase of 4a. 1r. 32p. of land, now let for 11, out of which 32s. are paid for teaching four poor children, 10s. for a sermon, and 1s. to the clerk, and the rest is distributed in bread among the parishioners. The Charter Acre was exchanged at the enclosure for 1a. 38p., which consists the remuneration of the parish clerk. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1814, consists of 14a. 2r. 13p., let for about 7a year, which is distributed in Coal. A large Lime-tree, 90 feet high, was cut down in the parish in 1705, the trunk of which was from 8 to 16 yards in girth. 

Post Office at Mr. Robert Phnixs. Letters via Wymondham, arrive at 8.30 a.m., and are dispatched at 6 p.m. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at Hingham

Allen William,   farmer and dealer, The Hall farm

Baldwin Frederick,   farmer

Bateson John,    blacksmith and vict. Half Moon

Bowman Walter,   farmer       

Bush John,   shopkeeper and dealer

Clarke James,   farmer and owner

Clarke Mrs. Hannah,   farmer

Clarke Thomas,    farmer

Clements James,    carpenter & wheelwright

Dack Robert,   farmer

Eagling Alfred,   beer retailer

Fielding Henry,   farmer

Gathergood William,   farmer & beerhouse

Harwood George Jabez,   farmer

Howling Robert,    farmer

Hurrell Charles,   farmer and parish clerk

Jude Charles,   farmer and drill owner

Lake George,   farmer and owner

Loyd Robert,   bricklayer 

Lyngcoln William,   farmer

Maudy Alfred,    miller

Minns Reuben,   farmer

Morter John,   farmer, Red Barn

Page William,   shopkeeper

Patrick William,   farmer and drill owner

Penlington Mrs George,   schoolmistress

Penlington Mr Thomas,   assistant overseer

Phnix Robert,   threshing machine proprietor

Phnix Robert,    postmaster and farmer

Phnix-Stone Mrs Mary A.,   farmer; h Kent

Pitts Mrs Jane,   farmer

Porter Rev Jacob,   curate

Reynolds Henry,   farm bailiff

Riches John,   farmer

Ringer Urban,   farmer; h Wramplingham

Rowing Archibald,   farmer; h Wicklewood

Rowing Miss Mary Ann

Shaw Henry,   farmer & owner, agt. for Lpool. Lond. & Globe Insur. Co

Smith John,   shoe maker

Stone George,    thatcher

Sutton Thomas William,   farmer, Church farm

Tooley William,   farmer

Turner William,   shopkeeper and coal dealer

Wanklyn Rev Hibbert,   vicar, The Vicarage

Watling Henry,   farmer

 

CARRIERS pass through to Norwich on Wednesday and Saturday