1892  Kelly's                        

DEOPHAM is a parish, 3 miles from Kimberley station, 4 north from Attleborough station on the Thetford and Norwich railway, and 4 south-west from Wymondham, comprising the small village of DEOPHAM GREEN, a mile south-west from the church. The parish is in the Mid division of the county, Forehoe hundred, petty sessional division and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, Forehoe division, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower, with octagonal turrets and pinnacles, and containing 5 bells: in 1864 the chancel was entirely restored and new roofed, and in 1867 the south aisle was restored at a cost of £240: the nave was thoroughly restored and new roofed and new windows inserted in 1884 at a cost of over £2,000, and the porch has also been restored: the estimated cost for the restoration of the tower is £750: there are 280 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £135, net yearly value £75, with 23 acres of glebe in Shipdham and 6 acres in this parish, and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and held since 1861 by the Rev. Hibbert Wanklyn, L.Th. of University College, Durham. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators of the rectoriaI tithes. There are two Primitive Methodists chapels, one at Deopham Green, erected in 1837, the other at Low Common. The Rev. Henry Rix, who died in 1728, left £60 to be invested in land, which produces a rental of £9 yearly, now appropriated for teaching four poor children and for an annual sermon,  the minister to receiving 10s., the clerk 1s., and each child 8s., the remainder being given in bread to the poor. A  sum of about £12, arising from 14 acres of land, awarded at the inclosure in 1814 in lieu of common rights, is distributed among the poor in coal annually. The Earl of Kimberley, the Sutton family and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, are lords of the manor. The princi­pal landowners are the Earl of Kimberley K. G., P.C. the trustees of the late J. B. Graver Browne, esq. and the Crown. The soil is marl; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,661 acres; rateable value, £2,631; the population in 1891 was 395.

Parish Clerk, Charles Hurrell.

POST OFFICE.- Robert Phœnix, receiver. Letters through Wymondham, arrive at 8.30 a.m. & are dispatched at 5.50 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Hingham.  Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

PILLAR LETTER BOX  (Low Common), cleared at 5.30 p.m. week days

National School (mixed), erected in 1851, for 84 children; average attendance, 62;   Mrs. Georgina Penlington, mistress

CARRIERS.-  John Raynor, from Rockland, & ---- Knott, from Rockland, pass  through to Norwich on wed. & sat

Peacock Mrs.  South End cottage

Porter Rev. Jacob M.A  [rector of Hackford]

Rowing Miss,  The Green

Wanklyn Rev. Hibbert   [vicar], Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL

 

Allen Herbert,   farmer, Old farm

Allen William,   farmer & cattle dealer, Hall farm

Baldwin Frederick,   farmer, South hill

Bateson John,    Halfmoon P. H. & blacksmith, The Green

Bowman Walter,   farmer, High elm

Bush John,   farmer & shopkeeper, The Green

Clarke Hannah (Mrs.),   farmer, Mill farm

Clarke James William,   farmer

Clarke Thomas Leeder,    farmer, Stalland

Clements James Blackwell,    carpenter & wheelwright, The Green

Dack Robert,   farmer

Gathergood William,   beer retailer and farmer, Low common

Hart John William,   farmer, Glass Bottle farm

Harwood George Jabez,   farmer, Stalland

Howling Robert,   farmer

Hurrell Charles,   farmer, High Elm farm & Hingham road

Jude Charles,   farmer & drill owner, Hingham road

Lake George,   farmer, Low common

Lord Robert,   bricklayer 

Lyngcoln William,   farmer, Pattengill farm

Martin James,   farmer, Stalland

Minns Reuben,   farmer

Mordey Alfred,   miller (wind)

Morter John,   farmer, Red barn

Nicholls Alfred,   farmer, Low common

Page William,   shopkeeper

Patrick William,   farmer, South hill

Phœnix Robert, jun.,   thrashing machine owner, Stalland

Phœnix Samuel,   farmer, Low common

Phœnix Walter C,   farmer, The Green

Phœnix-Stone Martha Ann (Miss),   farmer

Pitts Jane (Mrs.),   farmer

Potter Alfred,   carpenter, Stalland

Read John,   beer retailer, The Green

Riches John,   farm bailiff to Mrs. Hannah Clarke

Ringer Urban,   farmer

Shaw Henry,   farmer & landowner, Hingham road

Smith Fras. Robert,   farmer, Church farm

Smith George,   shoe maker, The Green

Smith Isaac,   tailor, The Green

Smith John,   shoe maker, The Green

Stone George,    thatcher

Turner William,   draper & grocer       

Ward William,   farmer

Watling Henry,   farmer

Webster James,   farmer

Whitehand Charles,   farmer, The Green