1904  Kelly's                        

 

DEOPHAM is a parish, 3 miles south from Kimberley station, 4 north from Attleborough station on the Thetford and Norwich line of the Great Eastern railway, and 4 south-west from Wymondham, comprising the small village of Deopham Green, a mile south-west from the church. The parish is in the Mid division of the county, Forehoe hundred, petty sessional division and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, Forehoe division, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with octagonal turrets and pinnacles, and containing 5 bells: in 1864 the chancel was entirely restored and new roofed, and in 1867 the south aisle was restored at a cost of 230: the nave was thoroughly restored and new roofed and new windows inserted in 1884 at a cost of over 2,000, and the porch has also since been restored: the estimated cost for the restoration of the tower is 750: there are 280 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 180, with 20 acres of glebe in Shipdham and 6 acres in this parish and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and held since 1895 by the Rev. John Samuel Treglown B. A. of Downing College, Cambridge. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators of the rectoriaI tithes. There are two Primitive Methodists chapels, one at Deopham Green, erected in 1837, and the other at Low Common. The Rev. Henry Rix, who died in 1728, left 60 to be invested in land, which produces a rental of 7 5s. yearly, now appropriated for teaching four poor children and for an annual sermon, the minister receiving 10s., the clerk 1s., and each child 8s., the remainder being given in bread to the poor. A sum of about 10 10s. arising from 14 acres of land, awarded at the inclosure in 1814 in lieu of common rights, is distributed among the poor in coal annually. The Earl of Kimberley, the Crown and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are the Earl of Kimberley, the trustees of the late J. B. Graver Browne, esq. the Crown and T. T. Ringer esq. of Summerfield, Docking and G. A. and C. T. Collier esqrs. The soil is marl; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,661 acres; rateable value, 2,052; the population in 1901 was 305.

 

Sexton & Verger, John Stone.

 

Post Office.- William Turner, sub-postmaster. Letters through Wymondham, arrive at 8.15 a.m. & are dispatched at 6.15 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Morley St. Botolph, 2 miles distant.

 

Pillar Letter Box,  Low Common, cleared at 6 p.m.; The Green, 6.30 p.m.  week days

 

Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1851, for 84 children; average attendance, 41;   Charles Rose Legge, master

 

Carriers.-  from Rockland & Great Ellingham pass through to Norwich on wed. & sat

 

Fendick The Misses,   The Green

Treglown Rev. John Samuel  B. A.   Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL.

 

Allen Walter Charles,   farmer, Old farm

Allen William,   farmer & cattle dealer, Hall farm

Baldwin William,   assistant overseer, The Green

Barker Frederick,   beer retailer, The Green

Bowman William James,   farmer, High elm

Bush Frederick,   farmer, Low Common

Bush John,    farmer & shopkeeper, The Green

Clarke Edwin,   farmer, Mill farm

Clarke James William,   farmer

Dack Robert,   farmer

Gibson Arthur,   Halfmoon P. H.

Hart John William,   farmer, Glass Bottle farm

Hurrell Charles,   farmer, Church farm

Hurrell Robert,   farmer

Legge Charles Rose,    school master

Neal William George,   farmer

Nicholls Alfred,   farmer, Low common

Page Mary (Mrs),   shopkeeper

Palmer William,   miller (wind)

Patrick William,   farmer, South hill

Peacock William Liddow,   farmer

Phnix Samuel,   farmer, Low common

Phnix Walter Charles,   farmer, Stalland

Phnix-Stone Martha Ann (Miss),   farmer, Low common

Pitts Philip John Bayes,   farmer, Low common

Potter Alfred,   carpenter, South hill

Ringer Urban,   farmer

Smith Isaac,   tailor, The Green

Smith James Robert,   farmer

Smith Thomas,   shoe maker, The Green

Stone John,   sexton & verger

Trivett Thomas,   beer retailer, Low common

Turner William,   draper, grocer & farmer, Post office, The Green       

Watling Arthur,   farmer, Low common

Webster James,   farmer, The Green

Whittleton Walter Garrett,   blacksmith, The Green

Woodrow David,   farmer, The Green