1912  Kelly's                        

DEOPHAM is a parish, 2½ miles south from Kimberley station, 4 north from Attleborough station on the Thetford and Norwich line of the Great Eastern railway, and 4 south-west from Wymondham, comprising the small village of Deopham Green, a mile south-west from the church. The parish is in the Mid division of the county, Forehoe hundred, petty sessional division and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham (Forehoe division), archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. An­drew is a building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with octagonal turrets and pinnacles, and containing 5 bells: in 1864 the chancel was entirely restored and new roofed, and in 1867 the south aisle was restored at a cost of £230: the nave was thoroughly restored and new roofed and new windows inserted in 1884 at a cost of over £2,000, and the porch has also since been restored: there are 280 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £180, with 20 acres of glebe in Shipdham and 6 acres in this parish and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and held since 1895 by the Rev. John Samuel Treglown B. A. of Downing College, Cambridge. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators of the rec­toriaI tithes. There are two Primitive Methodists chapels, one at Deopham Green, erected in 1837, and the other at Low Common. The Rev. Henry Rix, who died in 1728, left £60 to be invested in land, which pro­duces a rental of £7 yearly, now appropriated for teaching four poor children to read and say the church catechism and for an annual sermon, the minister receiving 10s., the clerk 1s., and each child 8s., the remainder being given in bread to the poor. A sum of about £13, arising from 14 acres of land, awarded at the inclosure in 1814 in lieu of common rights, is distributed among the poor in coal annually. The Earl of Kimberley, the Crown and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the two former are the principle landowners. The soil is marl; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,661 acres; rateable value, £2,205; the population in 1911 was 341.

 

Sexton & Verger, John Goward.

 

Post Office.- William Turner, sub-postmaster. Letters through Wymondham S. O. arrive at 8.30 a.m. and 5.50 p.m. & are dispatched at 9.15 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; no sunday delivery. Morley St. Botolph, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office

 

Pillar Letter Box,  Low Common, cleared at 8 a.m. & 6.15 p.m.; The Green, 9.20 a.m. & 6.40 p.m.  week days only

 

Public Elementary School (mixed), a corrugated iron structure was erected in 1909, for 100 children;  average attendance, 55;  Mrs. H. E. Whitehouse, mistress

 

Carriers.-  from Rockland & Great Ellingham pass through to Norwich on wed. & sat

 

Allen Misses,   Crown Farm house

Treglown Rev. John Samuel B. A.,   Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL.

 

Allen Walter Charles,   farmer, Hall & Crown farms

Baker George,   farmer, Low common

Baldwin William,   shopkeeper, assistant overseer & clerk to the Parish Council, Low common

Barker Frederick,   beer retailer, Low common

Barrett Alfred,   beer retailer, The Green

Bowman Henrietta (Mrs.),   farmer, High elm

Bush Frederick,   farmer, Low Common

Bush John,    farmer & shopkeeper, The Green

Clarke Charles,   farmer, Low common

Clarke Charles Edward,   miller, (wind)

Clarke Edwin,   farmer, Mill farm

Clarke James Edward,   farmer

Gibson Arthur,   Halfmoon P. H.

Greenwood Walter Ernest,   wheelwright, carpenter, painter & sign writer & undertaker & shoeing & general smith, The Green

Hurrell Charles,   farmer, Church farm

Hurrell Robert,   farmer

Leverett Charles,   farmer, Glassbottle farm

Lloyd James Edward,   builder, The Green

Lincoln George,   farmer

Nicholls Alfred,   farmer, Low common

Peacock William Liddelow,   farmer, Pettengills farm, The Green

Phœnix Arthur,   farmer, Low common

Phœnix Frederick,   thrashing machine owner

Phœnix Walter Charles,   farmer, Stalland

Pitts Philip John Bayes,   farmer, Low common

Reynolds Thomas,   farmer, South hill

Ringer Urban,   farmer

Sizeland Samuel,   farmer

Smith Eldon,   shoe  maker, The Green

Smith James Robert,   farmer

Turner William,   grocer, Post office, The Green       

Wigby John Lindsay,   farmer, Low common

Woodrow David,   farmer, The Green

Woolnough George William,   market gardener