1916  Kelly's                        

DEOPHAM is a parish, 2½ miles south from Kimberley station, 4 north from Attleborough station on the Thetford and Norwich line of the Great Eastern railway, and 4 south-west from Wymondham, comprising the small village of Deopham Green, a mile south-west from the church. The parish is in the Mid division of the county, Forehoe hundred, petty sessional division and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham (Forehoe division), archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. An­drew is a building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with octagonal turrets and pinnacles, and containing 5 bells: in 1864 the chancel was entirely restored and new roofed, and in 1867 the south aisle was restored at a cost of £230: the nave was thoroughly restored and new roofed and new windows inserted in 1884 at a cost of over £2,000, and the porch has also since been restored: there are 280 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £180, with 20 acres of glebe in Shipdham and 6 acres in this parish and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and held since 1895 by the Rev. John Samuel Treglown B. A. of Downing College, Cambridge, who is also rector of Hackford. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators of the rectoriaI tithes. There are two Primitive Methodists chapels, one at Deopham Green, erected in 1837, and the other at Low Common. The Rev. Henry Rix, who died in 1728, left £60 to be invested in land, which produces a rental of £7 yearly, now appropriated for teaching four poor children to read and say the church catechism and for an annual sermon, the minister receiving 10s., the clerk 1s., and each child 8s., the remainder being given in bread to the poor. A sum of about £13, arising from 14 acres of land, awarded at the inclosure in 1814 in lieu of common rights, is distributed among the poor in coal annually. The Earl of Kimberley, the Crown and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the two former are the principle landowners. The soil is marl; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,661 acres; rateable value, £2,243; the population in 1911 was 341.

 

Sexton & Verger, Herbert Goward.

 

Post Office.- Albert Wrettham Stone, sub-postmaster. Letters through Wymondham arrive at 8.30 a.m. and 5.50 p.m. & are dispatched at 9.15 a.m. & 6.50 p.m.; no sunday delivery. Morley St. Botolph, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office

 

Pillar Letter Box,  Low Common, cleared at 8 a.m. & 6.15 p.m.; The Green, 9.20 a.m. & 6.55 p.m.  week days only

 

Public Elementary School (mixed), a corrugated iron structure was erected in 1909, for 100 children;  average attendance, 55;    Mrs. Mildred New,  mistress

 

Carriers.-  from Rockland & Great Ellingham pass through to Norwich, calling at the ‘Half Moon’ on wed. & sat

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

 

Fendick The Misses, The Green,

Musto Joseph Robert, Crown Farm house

Price Frederick, The Bungalow

Treglown Rev. John Samuel B. A.  Vicarage

 

COMMERCIAL.

 

Allen Walter Charles,   farmer, Hall & Crown farms

Baker George,   farmer, Low common

Baldwin William,   shopkeeper, Low common

Barrett Alfred,   beer retailer, The Green

Brett Robert,   farm steward to W. C. Allen esq. Crown cottage

Bush Frederick,   farmer, Low Common

Bush John, farmer & shopkeeper, The Green

Clarke Charles,   farmer, Low common

Clarke Charles Edward,   miller, (wind)

Clarke Edwin Alfred,   farmer & live stock insurance agent, Mill farm

Clarke James Edward,   farmer

Fulcher Johnathan,   farmer

Gibson Arthur,   Halfmoon P. H.

Greenwood Walter Ernest,   blacksmith, The Green

Hurrell Charles,   farmer, Church farm

Hurrell Robert,   farmer

Lake George,   farmer

Leverett Charles,   farmer, Glassbottle farm

Lincoln George,   farmer & cattle dealer

Lloyd James Edward,   builder, The Green

Nicholls Ernest,   farmer, Low common

Peacock William Liddelow,   farmer, High Elm & Pettengills farm, The Green

Perfect Frederick,    pig dealer

Phœnix Arthur,   farmer, Low common

Phœnix Walter Charles,   farmer, Stalland

Pitts Philip John Bayes,   farmer, Low common

Potter Frederick,   farmer

Reynolds Thomas,   farmer, South hill

Ringer Urban,   farmer

Sizeland Samuel,   farmer

Smith Eldon,   shoe  maker, The Green

Smith James,   beer retailer, Low common

Smith James Robert,   farmer

Stone Albert Wrettham,   grocer, draper, flour & meal merchant, tobacconist, outfitter & boot & shoe dealer, Post office, The Green

Turner William,   farmer, The Green farm

Wade Walter,   farmer, Low common

Woodrow David,   farmer, The Green

Woolnough George William,   market gardener

Wright George,   farmer