1929  Kelly's                        

DEOPHAM is a parish 2½ miles south from Kimberley station, 4 north from Attleborough station on the Thetford and Norwich line of the London and North Eastern railway, and 4 south-west from Wymondham, comprising the small village of Deopham Green, a mile south-west from the church. The parish is in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred, petty sessional division and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. An­drew is a building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with octagonal turrets and pinnacles, and containing 5 bells:  in 1864 the chancel was entirely restored and new roofed, and in 1867 the south aisle was restored at a cost of £230:  the nave was thoroughly restored, a new roof added and new windows inserted in 1884 at a cost of over £2,000, and the porch and tower have also since been restored:  there are 280 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, permanently united with the rectory of Hackford, joint yearly net value £500, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and Clare College, Cambridge, alternately, and held since 1895 by the Rev. John Samuel Treglown B. A. of Downing College, Cambridge, and hon. C.F. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators of the rectoriaI tithes. There are two Primitive Methodists chapels, one at Deopham Green, erected in 1837, and the other at Low Common. The Rev. Henry Rix, who died in 1728, left £60 to be invested in land, which produces a rental of £10 yearly, now appropriated for teaching four poor children to read and say the church catechism and for an annual sermon, the minister receiving 10s., the clerk 1s., and each child 8s., the remainder being given in bread to the poor. A sum of  £19, arising from 14 acres of land, awarded at the inclosure in 1814 in lieu of common rights, is distributed among the poor in coal annually. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are lords of the manor, and W. C. Allen esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is marl;  subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,661 acres;  the population in 1921 was 407 in the civil and 569 in the ecclesiastical parish.

 

Sexton & Verger,   Herbert Goward

 

Post Office.-  Letters through Wymondham. Morley St. Botolph is the nearest M. O. & T. office

 

Carriers.-  Everett, of Great Ellingham, passes through to Norwich on wed. & sat.;   Riches, of Hockham, passes through to Norwich on sat

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

 

Fendick Misses, The Green,

Potter         Potter Frederick Henry, The Bungalow

Treglown Rev. John Samuel B. A., hon. C.F.  (vicar),  Vicarage

Turner William, The Green

 

COMMERCIAL.

 

Marked thus º farm 150 acres or over.

 

º Allen Walter Charles,   farmer, The Hall farm

º Allen William A.,   farmer, Crown farm

Brett Robert,   farm steward to W. C. Allen esq. Crown cottage

Burgess Ralph,   farmer, Low common

Clarke Charles,   farmer, Park lane

Clarke Charles P.,   farmer, Low common

Clarke James Edward.,   farmer, The Green

Cooper James,   farmer

Corley Harry,   farmer, Glassbottle farm

Digman Edwin,   beer retailer

Downes Charles George,   farmer, Victoria road

Dunger Charles John Anderson,   farmer, The Green

Fulcher Johnathan,   farmer

Greenwood Walter Ernest,   wheelwright

Hurrell Robert (exors. of),   farmers

º Knights Ronald,   farmer, Park lane

Lake George,   farmer

Leverett Charles,   farmer, Laurel farm

Lloyd James Edward,   builder, The Green

Long Arthur,   farmer   

Long Arthur Samuel,    farmer, Shaws farm

Palmer John William,   poultry farmer, Ivy farm

º Peacock William Liddelow,   farmer, High Elm & Pettengills farms, The Green

Phœnix Arthur,   thatcher

Phœnix Walter Charles,   farmer, Stalland

Prewer William,   farmer, Stalland road

Rayner Alice Clara (Miss),   shopkeeper

Reynolds Thomas,   farmer, South hill

Ringer Donald Arthur,   farmer

Rudrum Henry Arthur,   beer retailer, The Green

Sizeland Samuel,   farmer

Smith Eldon,   shoe  maker, The Green

Stone Albert Wrettham,   grocer, draper, tobacconist, outfitter & boot & shoe dealer, Post office, The Green

Stone Samuel P.,   farmer, Low common

Sturman George F.,   Half Moon P. H.

Sturman James,   farmer, The Green farm

Turner Louis P.,   farmer, Mill farm

Woolnough George William,   market gardener

Wright George,   farmer