1937  Kelly's                        

DEOPHAM is a parish 2½ miles south from Kimberley station, 4 north from Attleborough station on the Thetford and Norwich line of the London and North Eastern railway, and 4 south-west from Wymondham, comprising the small village of Deopham Green, a mile south-west from the church. The parish is in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and petty sessional division, Forehoe and Henstead rural district, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. An­drew is a building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with octagonal turrets and pinnacles, and containing 5 bells:  in 1864 the chancel was entirely restored and new roofed, and in 1867 the south aisle was restored:  the nave was restored, a new roof added and new windows inserted in 1884, and the porch and tower have also since been restored:  there are 280 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Hackford, joint yearly net value £500, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and Clare College, Cambridge, alternately, and held since 1930 by the Rev. William Clarke M. A. of Clare College, Cambridge. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators of the rectoriaI tithes. There is a Methodist chapel at Deopham Green, erected in 1837. The Rev. Henry Rix, who died in 1728, left £60 to be invested in land, which produces a rental of about £8 yearly, now appropriated for teaching four poor children to read and say the church catechism and for an annual sermon, the minister receiving 10s., the clerk 1s., and each child 8s., the remainder being given in bread to the poor. A sum of about £13, arising from 14 acres of land, awarded at the inclosure in 1814 in lieu of common rights, is distributed among the poor in coal annually. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are lords of the manor, and W. C. Allen are the principal landowners. The soil is marl;  subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 2,419 acres;  the population in 1931 was 546.

          By the County of Norfolk Review Order, 1935, the civil parish of Hackford was added to this parish.

 

Post & Tel. Call Office.  Letters through Wymondham. Morley St. Botolph is the nearest M. O. & T. office

 

Carriers.-  Hammond, of Caston, passes through to Norwich on wed. & sat.;   Riches, of Hockham, passes through to Norwich on sat

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

 

Clarke Rev. William  M. A. (vicar),  Vicarage

Coldham Herbert Barnard  J. P

 

COMMERCIAL.

 

Marked thus º farm 150 acres or over.

 

º Allen Walter Charles,   farmer, The Hall farm. Hingham 65

º Allen William A.,   farmer, Crown farm

Bales Fred J.   farmer

Blacksmiths’ Arms P. H. (Harry Walter Rudrum), The Green

Clarke Hannah Maria (Mrs.),   farmer, Park lane

Clarke Charles Percy,   farmer, Low common

Coates John Walter

Cooper James,   farmer

Downes Horace,   farmer, Green farm

Fulcher Johnathan,   farmer

Hurrell Frank Thomas M.   farmer, Church farm

Half Moon P. H.   (George F. Sturman)

Jones George,   farmer, Mill farm

Leverett Charles,   farmer, Laurel farm

Long Arthur,   farmer   

Long Arthur Samuel,    farmer, Shaws farm

Mills George James,   grocer & post office.  Hingham 63

Palmer John William,   poultry farmer, Ivy farm

º Peacock William Liddelow,   farmer, High Elm & Pettengills farms, The Green

Phœnix Arthur,   thatcher

Phœnix Walter Brunning,   farmer, Stalland

Reynolds Thomas,   farmer, South Hill

Saunders William,   grocer

Sizeland Eric Samuel,   farmer, Hills farm

Stone Samuel P.,   farmer, Low common

Thorpe George William,   market gardener

Victoria Tavern  (Edwin W. Digman)

Willis Andrew,   farmer, Glassbottle farm

Woods Frank,   farmer, Park farm

Wright George,   farmer